England-Hungary World Cup qualifier: Visiting fans clash with police inside Wembley Stadium


There were clashes between police and Hungarian fans during the World Cup qualifier against England inside Wembley Stadium.

There was an increased police presence in and around Wembley following fan trouble which marred the Euro 2020 final between Italy and England in July, but the trouble erupted within 10 minutes at Wembley.

Fans outside were seen clashing first with stewards and then police. Images broadcast by the broadcaster TVI appeared to show traveling Hungarian fans hitting police officers, who used their batons in an attempt to force fans back to their allocated area in the stadium before appearing to retreat into the hall moments later.


White becomes England’s second top scorer in 10-0 win over North Macedonia

08/04/2022 At 8:37 PM

Police will confirm unrest broke out after they tried to arrest a fan for a racially aggravated public order offence.

“Shortly after the start of tonight’s game at Wembley, officers entered the stand to arrest a spectator for a racially aggravated public order offense following remarks made to a steward,” he said. the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

“As the officers made the arrest, minor disturbances broke out involving other onlookers. Order was quickly restored and there have been no further incidents at this stage.”

The incident eclipsed the first 10 minutes of the game and the FA said it had opened an investigation.

“We are aware of an incident in the away section during tonight’s FIFA World Cup 2022 Qualifiers at Wembley Stadium. We will investigate and report the incident to FIFA.”

The incident follows Hungary being ordered to play two games behind closed doors by FIFA after England players suffered racist abuse in the reverse game.

world Cup

Charting England’s route to the World Cup final

04/01/2022 At 8:22 PM

world Cup

Southgate ready to wait for Ukraine resolution as England uncertainty ‘irrelevant’

04/01/2022 At 6:44 PM


About Author

Comments are closed.